Wheels for Independence is a joint venture between the Belleville Council for Seniors (BCS) and the City of Belleville. In 1999, the City of Belleville entered into an agreement with the BCS to provide transportation services to senior citizens and disabled residents of the City of Belleville.
In March 2000, the City purchased a van with block grant funds provided by Wayne County. The SMART van is equipped with an ADA-approved lift for disabled passengers.
The City funds vehicle operations and maintenance, and BCS provides dispatching and driver services to support program operations.
Rides are scheduled for City residents who are legally disabled or 55 years of age or older. Exceptions may be made for a companion who is needed for assistance.
Rides are provided on a first-come, first served basis with equal access to all City residents who meet the age and disability requirements, subject to the availability of space for mobility vehicles on each trip.
Please make the scheduling office aware of any mobility problems or other conditions that need to be considered as transportation services are being scheduled.
- Medical/legal forms are required for all riders including drivers and companion assistants.
- Please do not smoke on the van
- Frequent stops will normally be made during each round trip
- Please be courteous and quiet during the ride
- You must be ready to go at scheduled time so that all riders get to their appointments on time
- Seating arrangements are made at the driver’s discretion
- All arrangements for rides must be made one week in advance by calling the scheduling office. Emergency arrangements will be considered on a case-by-case basis as scheduling permits.
Need a Ride?
SMART vehicles operate Monday, Wednesday and Friday each week (sorry, no weekend rides).
Call (734) 697-3733 one week in advance of your appointment. Please leave a message as follows:
- phone number
- date of appointment
- time of appointment
- special needs, if any
You will receive a return call to confirm your appointment.
2 tickets or $2 up to 5 miles one way (Belleville, Sumpter and Van Buren)
3 tickets or $3 up to 10 miles one way (Canton, Romulus, Ypsilanti, etc.)
4 tickets or $4 up to 15 miles one way (Ann Arbor, Plymouth, Trenton, etc.)
5 tickets or $5 up to 20 miles one way (Monroe, Novi, Wyandotte, etc.)
You can purchase a coupon book (12 rides for $10) at the following locations:
- City Hall, 6 Main Street
- Columbia Court, 275 W. Columbia Avenue